- Screen Colours:
- Black & Yellow
All services and other events at St Michael's, Hunston and the other churches in the Pakenham Benefice are set out on the Church of England website: click here
St Michael's Church which stands behind the site of the former Hunston Hall is a most interesting specimen of Early English architecture. There are a number of Early English windows and some perpendicular insertions. The nave roof is of good hammer-beam type, the restored chancel roof being copied from it. The chancel arch is plain, supported on circular shafts with richly folliated capitals.
The priest's door to the south is very elegant, the head a segmented arch boldly trefoliated, the cusps are terminated with fleur-de-lys. In the east wall of the transept is a niche leaf with beautiful moulding of foliate design. In the south-east angle of the transept is a beautiful Early English double piscina under two trefoil arches on each wall supported on three circular shafts, the central shaft being in the angle of the walls. In the chancel are two ancient benches with well carved poppy heads. Near the font is a well preserved chest of unusual design. The font is Norman.
The 14th centrury flint tower which contains 5 bells is plain decorated of three stages without butresses with a large brick parapet. In 1887 the chancel was thoroughly restored by the late J H Heigham. In the same year the chancel floor was relaid with mosaic work by Major C Heigham who in 1882 placed 6 new windows in the chancel.
The most recent refurbishment completed in 2005 was the restoration of a central window in the chancel.