- Screen Colours:
- Black & Yellow
It is believed that there have been two halls in Hunston. Sadly neither building is standing today. The original Hunston Hall lay to the west of the parish church near to the parish boundary, but there is now no trace of that house and its moats are so mutilated that their plan can no longer be traced. The Heigham family from Rougham owned Hunston from the 18th Century when it came to them through marriage. Their house was situated nearer the centre of the parish to the east of the church. The Hunston Hall belonging to the Heighams burned down in 1917. Whether there was a house on this site when they inherited is not clear, but the presence of 4 tall brick chimneys serving the rear wing suggests that this part of the house may have survived from an earlier building. The Heighams house was a plain Georgian building of six bays on the entrance front and three on the flank.
The following description of the Hall was taken from a newspaper article regarding one of the Heigham weddings in 1884:
Some parts of Hunston Hall date several centuries back, but the hall has been added to from time to time, and now possess a front of an Italian order, with the enrichment and effective appearance peculiar to that style, and nestles very cozily behind the fine timber, some of which appears to be nearly as old as the family itself. A pleasant parterre has been made on the park side, and altogether there is a charm about the ancient building and its delightful surroundings. The parish church is situated on the upper part of the park, the churchyard being only separated by a slight fence, and is surrounded by splendid trees, and the ‘God's Acre' is the very model of a country churchyard.
The Heigham family's residence at Hunston Hall seems to have been somewhat sporadic in the 19th C. John Henry Heigham was living there in 1844 but eleven years later he was resident at another property on the estate, Hunston Cottage, a seventeenth-century building, (Now known as Hunston House) and the hall was let. In 1885 Clement Henry John Heigham who was Chief Constable of Suffolk, lived in the hall, but three years later he was living in Ipswich and two other members of the family were at the hall. In 1900 the house was let again with members of the family living at Hunston Cottage.
In July 1917 the house was vacant when on the 30th of that month it was destroyed by fire.
The Heigham family did not rebuild it, and two years later the whole of the estate was put on the market. It extended to 668 acres, and the site of the house and Hunston Cottage, 13 other cottages and accommodation land were included in the sale.